FLOATING TYPE OR KVIC TYPE BIOGAS PLANTS-MANY DISADVATAGES
This design was earlier adopted and is known as Gober-gas Plants. Later with lot of research and development on energy saving worldwide, Egg-shaped Bioreactors are developed and is widely being used all over the world.
When compared to the Egg-shaped or Fixed Dome Type Bioreactors, Floating type Biogas plants have lot of disadvantages as follows:-
Floating type has one fixed Cement Masonry Tank with one moving float. Hence its top part is opened to atmosphere.
- Since top part is open, such plants are breeding centers for mosquitoes.
- Due to escape of biogas through sides of float, the nearby locality of such plants will always have foul smell.
- Since top is open, froth escapes through the gap of tank & float, and spreads around the reactor; which makes the area dirty.
- Since the tank is separated with a center wall the Hydraulic Retention Time (HRT) is very high (55 days), whereas HRT for Egg-shaped plants is from 20 to 35 days only.
- Floating Gasholder is normally made of MS and moving. Hence regular periodic maintenance is required.
- Gas pressure depends on the weight of Gasholder.
- Gas leakage usually happens through welded joints of MS Gasholder.
EGGSHAPED OR FIXED DOME TYPE BIOGAS PLANTS- EFFICIENT WORKING DESIGN
It is of single structure of RCC construction. Bioreactor and Gasholder is a single egg-shaped chamber.
- No Moving part.
- It is engineered adopting Hydraulic Pressure balancing technique and gas pressure is perfectly controlled always.
- Lifelong warranty & zero maintenance.
- Specially trained masons with locally available materials can build entire plant.
- Very clean surrounding.
- No gas leakage an
- d hence clean environment.
- Plant will be underground/above ground. Vehicle can park above the plant or garden can be made above it if it is constructed underground.
- Highly efficient & effective Gas generation compared to floating type plants.
P.V. Joseph & Conslt: Amala Mary Jose (MS in Bio fuel –Quebec University)
Agro Engineering & Machinery Complex
Mini Industrial Estate, PB.No.39
Cochin, Kerala -683572
www.aemcoindia.com Mob. No: 9847445250,0484-2454134,74030525